Learning to lead people to faith in Christ is not merely a matter of mastering methods and techniques. There is no such thing as “15 Ways to Bring People to Christ” or “5 Steps to Evangelism.” That can be a mere intellectual exercise with no personal involvement. Effective evangelism must be motivated by love and devotion to Christ as Jesus himself “came to seek and save those who are lost” (Luke 19:10). I know sincere Christians who are saturated with theology and methodology of evangelism in their heads but in person they are lack of practise. Head knowledge is not enough, faith must be accompanied by actions (James 2:26).
But then again, knowledge on how-to and why-do evangelism is very much important for us as Christian because even if the faith and truth will never change, our cultures is changing very fast. Therefore, for us be effective, stay relevant today and learned from people of the past we need to be informed. We need to read books on missions and evangelism. We must pray, read the Word and study books to equip ourselves. Charles G. Finney once writes, “It is the great business of every Christian to save souls. People complain that they do not know how to take hold of this matter. Why, the reason is plain enough; they have never studied it. They have never taken the proper pains to qualify themselves for the work. If you do not make it a matter of study, how you may successfully act in building up the kingdom of Christ, you are acting a very wicked and absurd part as a Christian.”
Books on missions and evangelism matter. Both old and new books. Here are my top 20 book lists I recommend you to read [If you want to borrow one of the books listed below, you can comment or e-mail or inbox my Facebook account. If you’re near, I’ll pass it to you].
1) Effective Evangelism by J. Oswald Sanders
2) What of Those Who Have Never Heard? by J. Oswald Sanders
3) The Challenge of Missions by Oswald J. Smith
4) The Passion for Souls by Osward J. Smith
5) The Salvation of God by Oswald J. Smith
6) Literature Evangelism by George Verwer
7) Reinventing Evangelism: New Strategies for Presenting Christ in Today’s World by Donald C. Posterski
8) Christian Mission in the Modern World by John Stott
9) Revolution in World Missions by K.P. Yohannan
10) Vision & Continuity in Our Time by Fellowship of Evangelical Students (FES) Singapore
11) Hell’s Best Kept Secret by Ray Comfort
12) How Can I Lead a Friend To Christ by Michael Green
13) What on Earth are You Doing? by Michael Griffiths
14) His Guide to Evangelism by Paul E. and others
15) Conspiracy of Kindness: A Unique Approach to Sharing the Love of Jesus by Steve Sjogren
16) Longhouses Open Doors : God's glory in Borneo by Ray Cunningham
17) Out of the Saltshaker & into the World: Evangelism as a Way of Life by Rebecca Manley Pippert
18) Desiring God: Meditations of a Christian Hedonist (Especially chapter 9 on missions) by John Piper
19) The Soul Winner by Charles H. Spurgeon
20) Learning Evangelism from Jesus by Jerram Barrs
Well, after read you must GO!
THINK BIG. START SMALL. GO DEEP.